Sandy has come and gone. Because of the last minute path and increase in speed, right here where we are there were only a couple of inches of rain. The winds stayed about 25-30, not so bad. We never lost power. Lordy it's cold this morning though! The remnants will be gone overnight and tomorrow and the rest of the week look to be pretty good.
Beau, our boxer boy, stole a bar of soap out of the shower and swallowed it whole day before yesterday. This is a huge boxer and his head is enormous. We think he has some mastiff in his genes somewhere. Anyway, his mouth is plenty huge to swallow an entire bar of soap.
We didn't even know anything was wrong until yesterday morning when he threw up about 10 times, even just water. We took him to the vet for an xray and she saw a blockage and did major surgery to remove the blockage from his tummy. He's home now and seems to be doing okay. He's on pain meds, pepcid, and baby food. And of course no stairs for weeks!
I moved all my laptop and work stuff to the guest room downstairs in the finished walk-out basement for the long term. He can just walk out the back door without dealing with any stairs at all.
It's amazing how stressful changes can be. Now that I'm downstairs all day, my whole routine is totally screwed up. The three dogs don't like being down here either! But we'll all get used to it.
I'm not getting as many classes at my two schools as I used to. At one school, they are phasing out all totally online faculty and giving online classes to on-campus faculty who want them. At my other school, all phds get the most classes they can teach and master-degreed faculty get the left-overs.
I'm not settling for left-overs so my job search is on again! Hopefully by Jan and Spring I'll have a full course load again.
In the meantime, having only two classes right now takes me a total of one hour a day so I have lots of time to take care of dogs (one recovering from surgery and one recovering from a torn ligament in her back leg). And writing - I'm going to finish both my ebooks in my series on Online Teaching.
I'm also going to get my academic coaching business back up and running.
Poor Beau! That's just awful. You were wise to get him some medical attention so quickly. Still haven't heard from APU - hope to find out something this week, yea or nay. I sure need yea, though.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kim! Don't give up -- schools are either very slow because of the time of year or in a big hurry to get folks hired for Jan. Also APU's main office is in northern VA so they got hit hard by Sandy. That may slow things down as well depending if they have no power or had any flooding in their office building.
DeleteIf you can count my daughter as an upcoming trend....she is going back to school. Law School. She taught for a couple of years and just didn't like it. Worked for the PD for a couple of years and that didn;t do it for her either. But she is working as a child advocate in the courts and can see what Custody and Family Law specialists do...and she thinks she'd like that. This is the girl who use her car money to open yp a business at 16. At 18, she sold the business, paid for a NEW CAR and went to school with no student loans. So she is pretty confident that she can get funding and go to school....because there aren;t great jobs available, so she might as well get educated. I hope other 20-somethings think the same way and you get filled up with classes, because you are really good with this distance learning. The end. (Did Soap-boy recover? Did you know he was going to be so enormous?)
ReplyDeleteYeah the doofus recovered. But right before he had his stitches out, he ate more soap and spent a whole day at the vet throwing up. Fortunately no more surgery. Now we keep the soap under lock and key! LOL I wish all kids would start some kind of business. Doesn't have to be much but the experience is well worth it! Life experience, ya know? They all need more of that. Miss ya Katie!
Delete