Online classes almost always run weeks from Monday to Sunday. Which means, of course, that all work in all classes is due Sunday by midnight. This means, of course, that I never plan anything, ever, on Monday.
Monday is reserved for grading, starting at 5 am and going straight through for however long it takes. If I have 3 classes that turned in 5-10 page essays and another class or two with other written work, then I'm grading past midnight and starting again at 5 am on Tuesday.
Some schools require 48 hours turnaround on grading. Some give you three days. My personal and professional practice is to never wait longer than 48 hours to return graded work.
Whatever we plan for traveling, we always leave Mondays clear and most likely part, if not all, of Tuesday as well. No traveling on Mondays or Tuesdays. Wherever we're going, we stay there on Mon and Tues. No sight seeing, no hitting the road, nothing.
Working online means you never get a true vacation. It means your responsibility is to your students. I know what days I need to work and avoid other activities. Other days, I spend maybe a couple of hours a day and I can do that anytime during the day or night.
The flip side is that even though you are responsible for students all the time (and some schools require 7 days a week to answer questions and emails), you can do that from anywhere. And I have done so :-) Nothing beats working online.
Meanwhile, grading is just about done. I'm waiting for some late essays but I'll have it all finished by 8 am tomorrow morning and then I'm clear for a couple of days.
No comments:
Post a Comment