Thursday, March 14, 2013

Mobility challenges and solutions

Getting around can sometimes be a problem for me. Not so much in stores because there are always those motorized scooters. But with the TC I won't be able to park in handicapped parking if I'm having a lot of pain with my back and joint pinching in hips and knees. And of course there's walking Beau around to do his business when stopped for the night. He does need exercise, more than just a quick potty trip.

At our year-round campground I have a huge electric scooter than goes across the big field and over curbs and into the woods near our trailer. And it goes up hills really well too. But it is NOT made for inside. It's too big and the turning radius is huge. It comes apart to transport but all the pieces are too heavy for me. So DH has to be around to get it out of the vehicle and put it together. Then I just lock it up under the skirt of the fifth wheel when I'm down at the campground. And Beau loves it. As soon as I pick up the keys, he's dancing at the deck door ready to go for his run. Here's a picture of my outdoor scooter (mine's red):

So I decided I needed a smaller, lightweight scooter that would fit in the truck or on the platform on the back under the steps. Unfortunately it won't fit on the platform, haven't tried the truck yet. But if it won't, then we'll get a lightweight aluminum platform carrier for the hitch in the FRONT of the truck :-)  One like this (it's less than 100 at harbor freight and on sale next week).
Next time I'll post photos of my fold-up scooter that weighs a total of 50 pounds (less when battery is removed) and folds up in one piece or the handle/wheel/motor comes off and each piece is around 25 pounds. I can handle that.






2 comments:

  1. We looked at a rack like that. It had a speed limit on it that could be a problem when in travel mode. I recommend you read yours carefully when you buy it before you get into the installation phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip!! I'll have to check. I'm worried about the bounce factor with the scooter on it.

      Delete